I'm not vegan or low fat - I'm just a mom trying to make easy meals on a budget that my kids will eat! So alter meals as you wish to make them healthier or just do a little extra exercise every day... or just bring out the ol' mom jeans.
Shopping list for the week:
2 1/2 lb chicken thighs $6
2 chicken breasts $3
3/4 lb carrots $3 bag
4 lb red skin potatoes/russet potatoes $3 5 lbs
1 packet onion soup mix $1
1/4 C EVOO
1/2-1 lb beef tips (what's cheapest) $3
1 pint sour cream $2
2 packets brown gravy $2
1 lb egg noodles $2
1 pkg mushrooms $2.50
2 can green beans $2
2 C rice $3 5 lbs?
1 bouillon cube (veg or chicken)
1 packet shake 'n bake $2
2 C cheddar cheese $3
1 lb mixed veggies (love frozen veggies from costco) $4 (large bag)
2 boxes Annie's mac 'n cheese $3
1 pack hebrew national beef franks $4
3 cans of pears $2
2 salad bag/bushel $3
1 lb pasta $2
1 Jar of sauce or homemade (2 can diced tomatoes, 1/4 C italian seasonings, 1/2 pkt mushrooms, 1 can olives, 1/2 C milk or cooking wine - depending on desired flavor) $3
1 onion (to use as desired in pasta sauce/funeral potatoes, etc) $1
Chicarrot Potato Toss
1 1/4 lb chicken thighs
1/2 lb carrots
3/4 lb red skin potatoes/russet potatoes
1 packet onion soup mix
1/4 C EVOO
Mix the Olive oil and onion soup mix together. Chop the chicken, carrots and potatoes to about the same size, toss them together with the oil mix in the baking pan. Put them in the oven at 350 for 20-35 minutes. Don't let it overcook - all ovens are different, so watch it the first time you make it. There's a magical balance between getting the carrots soft and overcooking the dish. Sometimes I add water, lower the temp and let it cook longer just for that reason.
Beef Stroganoff
1/2-1 lb beef tips (what's cheapest)
1/2 C sour cream
2 packets brown gravy
1 lb egg noodles
1/2 pkg mushrooms
Start water boiling in pan (add pasta and time it while you cook the meat and sauce). Brown beef in pan on med-high heat, if not non-stick, spray w/pam first. Scoot meat to the side when it's about medium (brown outside, pink inside). Lower temp to medium, brown mushrooms in 1 T butter. When golden, mix meat and mushrooms together. Now mix gravy right in the pan with a whisk. After the lumps are gone, raise the temp higher to reach a simmer for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 C sour cream to it and lower temp to low heat while the noodles finish cooking. 2 cans/handfuls of green beans as a side. Toss mix w/pasta right before serving.
We've had two meat meals in a row, so now is when I would have a pasta and salad meal.
Chicken and Rice
1 1/2 lb chicken breast/thighs
1 C rice
1 Can cream of chicken/celery/broccoli
1 bouillon cube
1/4 lb carrots or broccoli (I use baby carrots cut in half vertically)
Dissolve bouillon in 1/4 C hot water. Mix that together in pan with 1 3/4 C water or milk, can of cream stuff, carrots and rice. Place boneless chicken on top of mixture. Bake in oven at 375 for 30-40 minutes covered in foil (tender rice and cooked chicken). You can choose to sprinkle bread crumbs on top and broil for 3-5 min or melt cheese on top. Serve w/salad or fruit on the side.
Shake 'N Bake Chicken with funeral potatoes w/mixed veggies
Self explanitory - I cut breasts in half before "shakin", prepare funeral potatoes as usual (I do without corn flakes and just save some cheese to sprinkle on top later, also a little less sour cream). For serving, I slice the finished chicken. Healthy serving of mixed veggies on the side - they are a star.
Hockey night! Annie's Mac 'n Cheese w/Hebrew National hotdogs and pears on the side
I am avoiding kraft products where possible, you'll learn why in a future post. Hebrew National hotdogs are the healthiest and most tasty out there - they're expensive, so I stock up when they're on sale. If reduced fat are an option at your store - even better! Pears are stored in juice/water (some w/pineapple) so if I'm doing canned fruit, those are what I choose.
Preview of next Thursday: meatloaf, taco salad, homemade alfredo sauce (yummo), breakfast for dinner, chicken/broccoli and Cherice


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading